Header Ads

HUNNY Only Has One EP Out, Yet Their Appeal is Clear


From the small band who's set I planned on sleeping through while they opened up for The Neighbourhood, to one of my favorite bands who I’d pay any amount of money to see again, HUNNY only has one EP out–but wow, is it spectacular.

“Pain / Ache / Loving” was released late October 2015, and I luckily came across this gem when my good friend told me how great it was. I went to give it a try, and here I am now–listening to it on repeat all day, never getting tired of the vocals, lyrics, or instruments. If I had to describe this EP in one word, it’d be “masterpiece”.

It’s the kind of music that’s not quite easy to categorize. It goes under alternative, but comprises elements of pop, rock, and ‘70s music. Describing the unique vocals is also a difficult task because of vocalist Jason Yarger’s incomparable voice. Yarger has no trouble displaying a passionate and emotional tone to fit the situation. Track 5, “Parking Lot,” contains the most ambition as the song expresses his desire to kiss a girl he had seen in a parking lot and portraying regret of not speaking up, admitted in, “I never told her what I wanted to say…” Despite the dance-y, upbeat music, lines such as “separation is our only friend, don’t get attached, soon enough we’re dead…” suggest a pessimistic, disappointed theme. Even though there are hints of melancholy, you won’t find this song difficult to jam out to.


Not only do the extraordinary vocals make this EP unforgettable, but the captivating lyrics contribute to the appeal as well. Particularly the lovely “La Belle Femme” has the most vehement lyrics about lustful love, including, “you’re a work of art, I wanna swim in your colors…” and I would be able to view this song without all the wistful vocals and dreamy instruments as just beautiful prurient poetry. Artistic language also shows up in the fun, lively “Cry For Me,” with the lines, “empty spaces our aging faces have turned to / trading places with whatever makes us feel new,” to explain the feeling of emptiness in growing older and the desperation to feel youthful and fresh again. Their lyrics can seem straightforward at times, but they have enough impressive examples of wordplay to call them lyrical geniuses. Not to mention, their new single “Vowels (And the Importance of Being Me)” further proves their talent with words.



Besides their skilled vocals and fascinating lyrics, all of their songs are pushed to their full potential with the absolutely captivating atmosphere created by the instruments. It’s not easy to get into a song with bland music, even if the vocals and lyrics are enjoyable, but Hunny go all the way with powerful rhythms and catchy beats. While I usually force myself to look for any flaws or issues I have with music, I could not find any negative criticisms I had to say for this EP.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.