Header Ads

Meet Drew Gonchoff

Instagram: DrewGworks
 My name is Drew Gonchoff, I'm 22 and I am from Moundsville, West Virginia. I am also currently a senior at West Liberty University. I work as a graphic designer and also a studio artists in my free time. I have recently been using spray paint and acrylic paints as my mediums of choice. My inspiration to become an artist came from a professor in college. I was always interested in art because it was natural to me, but going to college for it really opened my eyes to the potential it had. I got where I am today by using social media platforms to launch my artwork for the masses to see and of course help from friends and family. I enjoy making art for my own creative release, but letting others interpret it in their own way. 
I hope to gain a larger fan base by getting in awesome magazines such as this one and getting my work viewed by new eyes. 

Where I'm from the scenery is mainly hills and woodland areas. This is starting to become a key element in my acrylic paintings. I've been experimenting with nature in a psychedelic way. I hope to take the strangeness of nature and create it in a way to make interesting connections that are otherwise overlooked. I also like to use symbolism in my paintings. 
When I'm working with spray paints, I am usually outside surrounded by hills and nature. I took a earth and space science study this past year and began to have an interest in space. That's how the space painting came about. I began experimenting with paint cans and eventually realized I could creating something vivid and creates a space like atmosphere. Which is easy to get lost in when creating and standing in front of. 

Art is now a way for me to further personal creative desires and explore new ideas. I do a lot of research when creating a piece, which in return keeps me learning new and interesting ideas. I enjoy looking into wildlife, nature, space, and other cultural aspects.

 I recently took a trip to Katowicè, Poland to learn the art of printmaking. Europe really opened my eyes to the art world in a completely contrasting way than in America. The art in Poland I saw was pretty dark in terms of subject due to the event that took place there. I enjoyed to see all the black colors and learned that art is strongly influenced by our environments. We learned a technique called "aquatint" printmaking. (I will attach works) and we had an exhibition in a college there. A big experience for me. 


A dislike I have for my local art scene where I'm from is the lack of communication between artists. I feel artists should link up and explore ideas together at times to collaborate on works. Yet, most artists I work with simply love art and would do anything just to create. These are the people I tend to surround myself with. The others are always welcome when they realize it's not a competition. 

My dream project currently would be a very large mural on a building. I love the size and aspect that it will be seen in large by many people. This is something I hope to have accomplished by next summer. 


Instagram: @DrewGworks
Drewgonchoff.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.