Header Ads

Cornrows or Boxer Braids?


Lately I've been seeing "boxer braids", "new innovative hairstyle" and "Kim K braids" with the dismissal of the original name: Cornrows. This apparently "new" hairstyle has been around for years but now that they've been seen on Kim Kardashian, on fashion runways and other white celebrities it is edgy and so cool. Why is that?

On the daily black girls and women are tormented for the way our hair is. We are told it is "nappy", "disturbing", "resembles a carpet", "un-tidy" the list goes on. There has even been countless times that black girls have been suspended from school for  rocking their natural hair afro and all; because it is a "distraction." They shouldn't have to go through that. This ignorance can lead to black girls perming/relaxing their hair to look more presentable or more accepted by their peers and people they don't even know. The youngest I've heard of a young black girl getting her hair relaxed was three!!! Crazy because your hair and scalp isn't even fully developed at that age which can end up leading to hair problems in the future. I have even gave in to the things told to me about my hair and ended up relaxing it as well, because that was what I thought was the only thing acceptable. I would be loved more or prettier due to what I saw and heard growing up due to society or "friends".

When I searched up cornrows this initially what I saw....




ALL NEGATIVE RESULTS.

But when I searched up boxer braids this is what I got... ways on how to get them and Kim Kardashian giving her secret away on how to do HER SIGNATURE braids. What? Black men and women have been rocking cornrows/ braids for years! Where you been at?






Black culture is an amazing thing unless seen on black people themselves. Weird right? Non- black people appropriate our culture and features, get highly praised for it and then lack showing support on issues black people face on the daily. 



Why it that black girls have been rocking cornrows, braids and etc for years get called "ghetto'", called ignorant stereotypes and mocked when they were originated by us, but when a white girl does the exact same thing it is "high fashion" "cool" and some new trend to profit off of? *sips several teas* 

Let me end this off with Amandla Stenberg's video about black culture: "DON'T CASH CROP MY CORNROWS":


Hope you enjoy!

Twitter: Mindlessfashion
Instagram: tanishaaxo 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.