Header Ads

Aaliyah Muse Discusses Upcoming EP, "Chambers"




 Aaliyah Muse, from Los Angeles, California, shares her creative process and talks about her upcoming EP, "Chambers".



Urban Time: You recently released a music video, was that a feature or your song?

Aaliyah: That was a feature I did with a dear friend of mine, Merlaku Ra. I'm currently in the process of releasing my own EP.

Urban Time: That's great! Tell us about that!

Aaliyah: It's titled, "Chambers". For a while I secluded myself from daily routine and left everything I knew to be familiar. I had a circle of people whose intent towards me was evil and I wasn't down to be around anymore, it's draining to be in an environment like that. In that time of seclusion I was able to understand who God was for myself rather than just for what I was raised to believe. I think it's essential for us as people to take the time necessary for ourselves to get clarity on life, especially at a young age. I now know who I am and what I stand for and in those moments of isolation from unneeded energy is where I found myself and the gifts and visions assigned for me and this project embodies just that.

Urban Time: Is that where the title comes from as well?

Aaliyah: Yes.

Urban Time: How does it relate?

Aaliyah: Well, a chamber is a private room and that's where I wrote all of my songs, in my bedroom.

Urban Time: Can you give some song examples that fit the concept and how it all comes together?

Aaliyah: Sure. So there are 5 songs but 2 interludes totaling to 7 tracks. I don't have titles for the tracks yet simply because I want them to come to me naturally. But the first track begins with where I was psychologically in my situation, which was ready to escape, and that thought process continues throughout the EP. It ends with me continuing another thought process as I grow into a different stage in my life and there will be another project for that after “Chambers” is released.

Urban Time: That's great! What is the writing setting like for you? Where do you feel most productive?

Aaliyah: I enjoy writing alone because I enjoy being alone in general but I'm most productive when my friends are around. All of us have a craft that we're mastering and truly love, so for me to be surrounded by that while in the process of making a song is really uplifting and reassuring. They allow me to be myself and still constructively criticize my work, which is always needed. We're a village. My buddy Alec has an office that he turned into a studio and all of our close friends record/create there. There's freedom to be authentic and free with our craft which is what I need, it's home.


Urban Time: That sounds really nice, what is recording for you like? What do you make of the process?

Aaliyah: It's strange for me. I always get nervous right before recording and one would think since I'm comfortable with my surroundings that everything would be peaches n cream but I'm still getting comfortable with myself and my sound. I didn't always know I could sing which is also strange and so all of this is just apart of a huge endeavor of me sharing my true self with the world. I've definitely found my own sound, fortunately. When recording extremely personal lyrics I might cry, I've done so before. I'm very careful with how I critique music now than ever. Simply because their are places within an artist, or any other creative, that they have to dig deep from in order to be as honest and transparent as possible with cultivating their story as art.

Urban Time: Of course definitely shows the connection between the artist and their work. What would you describe your style of singing as?

Aaliyah: Spiritual Soul would be the most accurate description of my sound.

Urban Time: Can your audience expect a similar sound from your feature with Merlaku Ra?

Aaliyah: Since he's doing some of my production for the EP, the answer is yes.

Urban Time: Where do you see yourself after this project is released, what are you hoping to get out of it?

Aaliyah: A few people have already reached out to me from the states wanting to work. So I'll definitely be traveling soon. I'm not sure where this project will go but I am sure that it will reach the right ears at the right time. I'm essentially grateful to God that I have the courage to even release this project.


Urban Time: I bet that's really exciting, any plans of a visual?

Aaliyah: Yes!! That's the most exciting part of this project for me. I love visuals. I'm working with my friend, Takai who also directed A Real Fly Love Song.

Urban Time: What kind of vibe do you want to put out there for your audience?

Aaliyah: In a nutshell, freedom to love like God loves mankind and have dominion in the earth rather than being bound by our situations.

Urban Time: Do you incorporate your faith into your music?

Aaliyah: Absolutely but it's definitely not refined to that alone. We all experience the real life situations that often times hurt and that is mentioned as well.

Urban Time: Is this your main career, if not would you consider it being your main career?

Aaliyah: Yes, it's my main career at the moment. I have a huge appreciation for the arts and I don't see myself as just a recording artist. One of my first passions as a child, and still is, is painting and modeling.

Urban Time: How do you balance time from your different crafts?

Aaliyah: I don't have a set schedule for how I distribute my energy towards my crafts because I like for ideas/projects to come to me candidly. But, I do create something once a day to keep my senses keen. I have a notepad full of sketches and lots of lyrics written in either a pocketbook or my phone. So I'm always creating.

Urban Time: That's really nice, is there anything else you would like to mention?

Aaliyah: Yes. Thank you to yourself and the Urban Mag team I appreciate the love and it will definitely be reciprocated on my end. Also, the Chambers EP can be anticipated during the fall sometime this year. Grace and Peace.

Urban Time: Thank you so much!

Aaliyah's Twitter: @theadvsry





No comments

Powered by Blogger.