Header Ads

Ijeoma Anozie: A Spunky Yet Fresh Powerhouse who's Reintroducing Innovation Back Into Fashion

Shout, out yourself, girl! Just exactly who is behind "NAPPYGRL?"
Whats good what's poppin... My name is Ijeoma. Im 20 from Houston but currently stay in Queens, New York! I'm an artist (to sum myself up in a few words) And I'm also a student.


OFF WITH HER HEAD EARRINGS worn by @khadijzah

 A lot of people use the phrase "(insert hometown) made me"... Do you feel this way? Did/do your surroundings come into play when you are creating new pieces?
 "Houston made me" lol .. No I wouldn't say all of that. My surroundings don't play any part on the things I create. The things I create come from my emotions ... I need to get them all out. My pieces are crazy because I'm crazy lol. I create to express. Houston doesn't allow me to express.. I felt stagnant there... New york is allows me that freedom though.


(Ijeoma Anozie, styled by herself, in custom NAPPYGRL top)

Are there any specific brands that were favorite growing up? What are they? Did they have an impact on the way you dress today?
I would have to say... The brands I liked back then I could never even wear because i was so young lol. Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, BCBG.. Are all brands I would see my mom wear and now that I'm older it's really exciting because im finally grown enough to rock them. An Impact on the way i dress today... Yes... My style is becoming more high end... I love wearing designer now .. Whether its shoes or just a purse.


(Model, styled by Ijeoma Anozie)

Is fashion the only "artistic" career you wish to pursue?
Crazy... But no not really. I'm an overall artist... I started singing and playing instruments even WAY Before I became a fashion head. I don't know how I'm going to do it but i dream of getting my foot in the music scene soon. 


(Ijeoma Anozie, styled by herself)

If you had to collaborate with the person of your dreams, who would it be? Why? 
It would definitely have to be Missy Elliot because 1) its only right and 2) we would make magic together. I would pick up so many creative project ideas from her and the visuals for the clothes I would style would just be wild...i see it now. She's a style icon for me and always will be. I think if I had a clear cut inspiration for my style it would be Missy.

How would you describe your style to someone who has never seen you before?
Unpredictable. I wear everything. Ugly baggy clothes to a dress. No makeup to full face beat with a bone straight wig on and 6 inch heels. Unretwisted dreadlocs to braids...you can't ever know what Im going to look like...i wear boy boxers one day and a g string the next.. Lol its never been an issue for me to switch up.

What are three items you believe everyone should have in their closet?
1. Black shoes of some sort.
2. Black jeans. 
3. A black shirt of any brand. 


Dyme Taylor (@dymetaylor) in the NAPPYGRL Funky Jungle Top 

Have you experienced any hardships when it comes to the Fashion world? What are some of your biggest challenges?
My biggest hardship right now is just getting my foot in the door really. The fashion world is a huge ladder that takes TIME. It's hard for me to get rejected COUNTLESS times and still find the will to prepare myself to be rejected all over again. I'm very prideful so applying to internships and stores is painful because no matter how talented you are there are people out there who will down you like you aren't shit.. But I have to keep pushing because I know this is what I want.

What message do you want the world to receive when viewing your work?
I create these products to express myself .. Not to compare myself to you... This is not a race...I don't think im better than anyone and I don't want anyone to ever feel that way about my work. I create to express how I feel....im going through a lot and its the only way i cope. I don't do this to play around and I feel like art these days is only to please others... And i don't feel that at all. People are playing with art.. It's supposed to be genuine.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.