Header Ads

16yr Old Amindi K. Fro$t

Amindi K. Fro$t is a sixteen year-old singer-songwriter, musician, and producer from Los Angeles. Creating her own sound while drawing influences from various artists, her songs and collaborations have amassed thousands of plays on SoundCloud.



Introduce yourself, what's your name? How old are you? Where are you from?

A: My name is Amindi Kiara Frost [uh-min-dee kee-R-uh frost]. I'm 16 and I'm from Los Angeles.

What do you do? What got you interested into doing what you're doing?

A: Primarily, I make music. I write songs and sing them. My dad is also a singer-songwriter and without realizing it, he's played a major role in my musical development. I honestly don't know what initially got me interested in making music, though. I think I'm just naturally a creative person—(I don't know how to say that without sounding pretentious)—and I literally crave any form of positive expression. Along with music, I also have a clothing line with my two friends with the sole purpose of uplifting and elevation.

What motivates you to write songs? What do you write/sing about?

A: I write about things that are relevant in my life. I am a huuuge movie buff, so bunch of my songs/moods of my songs are inspired by Wes Anderson & John Hughes; bubbly, but in a muted kind of way. A lot of times when I write in second-person (using "you," as if I'm directly addressing someone), I'm talking to myself from the point-of-view of better version of myself. It's odd, but it makes writing a lot easier for me. There's, like, a constant war between me and myself that's hard for me to vocalize in anyway other than music. As far as what motivates me? It could be anything. A joke, a line from a book, a text message. Anything that pops out to me as "textual art" or "verbally pleasing," that I can build off of.

What are your goals in 2016? Who do you plan on working with in the future?

A: My goal for 2016 is to surprise myself. In December, when this year is coming to an end, I want to be able to look back and freak out about how much I've accomplished. I don't have any set goals, but things are supposed to happen this year; and they'll all happen; and they will happen for a reason. 

Really soon, I plan on releasing a joint project with Cam, The Chef, who's a super talented rapper/producer from LA. I plan on working more with Dapurr, who I work with a lot because he's mad gifted and we get along well. A lot of producers have been hitting me up lately, and I want to branch out as much as possible starting this year; get out of my comfort zone, deal with different genres. I could list hundreds of artists I want to/plan to work with in the future, but I don't want to jinx anything.

>What's your favorite song you've written? Is there a story behind that song? If so, can you tell us?

A: In My Head might be my favorite, only because it was a freestyle and it was my first song that got 100k plays. I was sitting on Dapurr's couch in his room, where he has his studio set up, and he was like "I have this track, do you wanna mess with it?" and I was like, "Yeah cool." So I listened to it a couple of times to get a feel of the beat, then we recorded right there. I had nothing written prior to that. I just sang off the top of my head keeping in mind my teen angst and the realness of my impatience for recognition at the time.

What are your favorite bands/singers? Has any of them inspired you in your journey? If so how? Do you try to give messages in your songs? And if so, what are they?

A: I love Girlpool, Two Door Cinema Club, Vampire Weekend, Miike Snow, The Hics, SZA, Santigold, Mama Badu, Janelle Monae, OSHUN, Kari Faux, Kali Uchis, Abra, LOLAWOLF and Anderson .Paak.

They've all inspired me in different ways! For the most part, they're from different genres, and they've each influenced any uniqueness I have in my sound.

My messages, as subliminal as they may be, always seem to have a common theme: finding "self-" through different mediums. Whether it be "self-worth," or "self-assurance," or "self-love," they're always about building from the inside. 

Aux Cord is just me speaking to myself about how much I shut everyone out when I'm sad; I just listen to music and refuse to talk about it until I feel better. W8N is all about staying honest with myself and—whether or not anyone shows up for me—being my own superhero and saving myself. Gluten Free is about refusal to follow crowds.

How do you feel when you create music?

A: I feel really happy; I honestly think that's when I'm the happiest. I have a short attention span and my mind has a tendency to drift. But when I'm making music, I'm very focused. My main intentions are for it to make sense and for me to like it.

Have love ever inspired you to create a song?

A: Love inspires me to do everything :-)

Romantic love, though? Love between me and a significant other? No. I've never written or created a song about anyone real, other than myself. Like I said, I'm really into Wes Anderson and John Hughes, and their movies, for the most part, are quirky romantic comedies. My favorite thing to do is watch rom-coms from the 90s and early 00s, and that's where I get my inspiration to include any love-related themes in my songs. Last year I put out an EP called Turquoise (available on Bandcamp), and it was almost entirely romantic. It just depends on how I feel, really.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.